We had a great trip up to Troy, Michigan last week. The weather was beautiful – warm and sunny with blue skies. A perfect day for a road trip! Upon arriving at our destination, the seller uncovered the alpinweiss cabrio. Reggie inspected the exterior, the interior, and under the hood before taking it on a test drive. The seller agreed to an allowance to cover work that will need to be done to the air conditioning system. Reggie contacted the buyer to get approval, and a deal was made! We put the top down and headed home under sunny skies. And this is how this 5-speed 1988 325i cabrio made its way to Reggie’s Motorworks!
In fact, it’s another sunny day and the new owner of this fine car drove here from Lafayette to check out his new e30, to meet Reggie, and to take a look around the shop. It’s always great to meet another enthusiast! And we’re excited to get this alpine beauty back on the road!
Since we brought the cabrio into the shop immediately to begin addressing its issues, we did not get any ‘proper’ photos, but we’ll be sure to get some in-progress and after photos. Click here to see more! Don’t get us wrong, this is a NICE car to start with. It turned over 99K original miles on the trip home!!
Here’s the plan of attack:
1. Repair seat bolster and re-dye worn bolster (the driver’s seat is already at the upholstery shop!)
2. Replace dry-rotted fuel hoses, both under hood and at fuel filter
3. Oil change
4. Install correct spark plugs
5. Diagnose & repair idle issue (it’s currently idling high)
6. Evacuate, vacuum, leak test, and recharge AC system
7. Replace front sway bar links
8. Rust repair (both rear quarter panels and fender lips) – The driver’s side rear quarter panel and fender lip are shown here:
9. Valve adjustment
10. Shave antenna (we’re excited about this!)
11. Replace deck lid to eliminate 3rd brake light, spoiler, and “325i” emblem – the owner wants a real clean smooth look to go with his Alpine White 335i…..down the road there may be “other” similarities between this car and his 335i……We’ll let you speculate on that one.
In other news, the Baur got new Bilstein sport shocks and struts, new front strut mounts, e36 M3 rear shock mounts, and reused H & R lowering springs that came with the car. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of that project…however, Reggie is quite happy with the results from the upgrade. If you missed the Baur’s most recent photo session, check it out here!
And we hope to see you at the Cruise-In! Here are the details!
Have a great weekend! And we wish all moms a very Happy Mother’s Day!
We take car of PEOPLE who drive European cars.
Check out @noble_auto_service if you drive an American or Asian car or truck.